The Oregon Foreclosure Avoidance Program partners with many state agencies and non-profit organizations to provide free and low-cost resources and to help Oregonians struggling as a result of foreclosure.
Housing counselors are tasked with the following responsibilities under Senate Bill 558 (2013):
- Responding to homeowners who wish to request a resolution conference
- Certifying that homeowners meet the requirements of the program and assisting homeowners in initiating requests
- Hosting orientation sessions for homeowners to explain the rules of the program, address housing and budget ratios, and answer general questions
- Conducting one-on-one counseling sessions with homeowners for an in-depth, comprehensive review of their financial situation and eligibility for foreclosure avoidance measures
- Assisting homeowners with document completion and submission
- Attending resolution conferences with homeowners if available
Download this Foreclosure Resources file for a list of housing counselors, and free and low cost legal representation.